Our lastest wind project in Texas
In 2019, ACCIONA brought the Palmas Altas Wind Farm online. In 2020, the company is increasing its investment in Cameron County with the La Chalupa Wind Farm. When operational, La Chalupa will be the single largest wind farm in ACCIONA's North American portfolio at 198 MW. Together the two wind farms will offer 343 MW of capacity, generating enough electricity for 97,000 Texas homes.
Palmas Altas and La Chalupa will feature 109 wind turbines manufactured by Nordex. Palmas Altas and La Chalupa are ACCIONA's second and third projects in Cameron County, where the company has operated the San Roman Wind Farm since 2016. When completed, La Chalupa will raise the company’s wind energy capacity in the US to 1,064 MW, with ten wind farms in six different states.
- Location: Cameron County, Texas. UU.EE
- Capacity: Palmas Altas 144.9 MW / La Chalupa 198 MW
- Wind turbine: Nordex AW 125/3150
- Tower: Steel, 87.5-meter hub height
- Start-up: Palmas Altas, December 2019/ La Chalupa under construction
- Owners: ACCIONA
- Second and third ACCIONA wind farms in Texas and 9th and 10th in the United States
- Together made up of 109 AW125/3150 ACCIONA Nordex wind turbines, each with a 125m rotor diameter on 87.5m high steel tower (at hub level)
- Enough energy output to power 97,000 homes
- More than 1100 GWh of wind energy produced annually
- More than 270 jobs created during the construction of Palmas Altas and 300 during the construction of La Chalupa. Nineteen full-time jobs in O&M once both projects are operational
- New Social Impact Management program to support Cameron County
metre rotor diameter
metres high steel tower
Montaje de aerogeneradores de un parque eólico
En el siguiente vídeo puedes ver cómo se instala un aerogenerador. Este video time-lapse fue grabado durante la construcción del parque eólico de San Román, en Cameron County, Texas.
List of documents available to download
ACCIONA, a company committed to the community (Palmas Altas Wind Farm, Texas, USA)
No te pierdas este video sobre el compromiso de ACCIONA con la comunidad de Cameron County.
The story of how we came to control the wind
The story of the human race is a fight to manage the elements and make them serve civilization. Tradition and mythology are full of brave people who challenged nature, sometimes with luck and sometimes without, allowing humanity to make an evolutionary leap forward...